Dr Louis Wessels is a cosmetic, plastic and reconstructive surgeon and is a senior lecturer at the faculty of medicine and health sciences of Macquarie University.
His practice covers the whole range of procedures in cosmetic, plastic and reconstructive surgery with special emphasis on cosmetic and reconstructive surgery of the breast (augmentation, reduction and breast lift) as well as facial cosmetic and reconstructive surgery. He is also an accomplished microsurgeon and regularly performs reconstructive microsurgery for breast reconstruction and head & neck restoration following cancer treatment. In addition, he has expertise in body contouring surgery and non-surgical cosmetic therapies.
Dr Wessels received his MBChB in South Africa, completing his internship & general surgery residency, training in one of the most challenging clinical environments, before completing his Fellowship and his Master of Medicine in Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery.
He subsequently graduated from Macquarie University in the inaugural award of the Masters of Advanced Surgery (Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery), for which he was awarded a Scholarship from Johnson & Johnson.
Dr Wessels successfully completed his second Fellowship in Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery when he was awarded a Fellowship of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons in 2015. He is a member of the Surgical Infection Research Group at Macquarie University, and has published world-leading research on breast implant infection and outcomes following breast augmentation surgery.
- Cosmetic surgery of the breast – breast enlargement/reduction, breast lift, revision breast surgery & male breast reduction (gynaecomastia)
- Cosmetic surgery of the face – facial rejuvenation (facelift), rhinoplasty, eyelid lift (blepharoplasty)
- Cosmetic surgery of the body- tummy tuck (abdominoplasty), liposuction, arm (brachioplasty), thigh lift, labioplasty
- Reconstructive surgery of the breast – DIEP/TRAM flaps (Autologous) & prosthetic reconstruction
- Reconstructive surgery of the face, head and neck – following cancer or trauma
- Reconstructive microsurgery – for complex acquired and congenital defects
- 2015 Fellowship of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons (Plastic & Reconstructive Surg.) Awarded
- 2012 Masters of Advance Surgery (Plastic & Reconstructive Surg.) Macquarie University,
- 2010 Fellow of the College of Medicine of South-Africa (FCS Plastic & Reconstructive Surg.)
- 2010 MMed (Plastic & Reconstructive Surg.) University of Stellenbosch, South-Africa
- 2000 MBChB University of Pretoria, South Africa