Dr. Michael Reyes is a Consultant Endocrinologist and Diabetes Specialist. He graduated Bachelor of Science and Medicine at the Pontifical and Royal University of Santo Tomas in Manila before completing his specialty training at St. Vincent’s Hospital, Sydney, the Garvan Institute of Medical Research and the St. George Hospital, Kogarah. He is a fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Physicians and conjoint associate lecturer at the University of New South Wales.
Dr Reyes helped establish the first Endocrine Transplant Clinic at St Vincent’s Hospital and was involved in creating protocols for screening diabetes and osteoporosis in heart and lung transplant patients. He is part of the Pre-gestational and Gestational Diabetes Clinics at St George Hospital and runs the Transition and Young Adult Diabetes Service (TrYADS), bridging the care of late adolescents and young adults with diabetes.
He has expertise in managing diabetes, pregnancy-related endocrine disorders, metabolic syndrome and obesity, thyroid, parathyroid and adrenal disorders and polycystic ovarian syndrome.
- Type 1 diabetes and Insulin pump use
- Integrated management of Obesity and Weight loss
- Osteoporosis and Bone metabolism disorders
- Pituitary disorders
- Steroid-induced and Transplant endocrinopathies
- St George Private Hospital, Kogarah – 2017 to Current
- Kareena Private Hospital, Caringbah – 2017 to Current
- HMO Endocrinologist, St George Hospital, Kogarah – Department of Endocrinology
- HMO Endocrinologist, The Sutherland Hospital, Caringbah – Department of Endocrinology
- Education and Qualifications
- 2016 Fellowship of the Royal Australasian College of Physicians
- 2000 Doctor of Medicine and Surgery, University of Santo Tomas, Manila
- 1996 Bachelor of Science in Biology, University of Santo Tomas, Manila
Dr Reyes teaches medical students from the University of New South Wales and trains basic and advanced physician trainees at St. George Hospital, Kogarah
Memberships and Committees
- Endocrine Society of Australia
- Australian Diabetes Society
- Australian Diabetes in Pregnancy Society
- Australia and New Zealand Bone and Mineral Society
- US Endocrine Society
- Australian Medical Association
Dr Reyes has research interests in the diagnosis and management of young adults with type 1 diabetes. He recently developed Transition and Young Adult Diabetes Service (TrYADS) in St George Hospital with the goal of improving the long-term well being and health outcomes of these patients. He also has a particular interest in the diagnosis and management of steroid-induced as well as pre- and post-transplant endocrinopathies.